Saturday 13 February 2010

Country's Going To the Doors

There is a danger that I'm turning into a grumpy old man.

But, I don't think so....


I went to a charity bash last weekend.


You know the thing, they charge you £50 a ticket and then try to get you to spend more with a succession of auctions and raffle ticket sales.

I looked at the auction items which started at about £60 and up and there were about ten differing things for sale.

Now, I know it was all in a good cause and participation was optional, but none of the auction items appealed to me.

Various golfing rounds, the hire of a mini-JCB for the afternoon, a spa session, tea at a London hotel and a designer name watch.

The watch eventually sold for £110. 

I said to the twenty something girl who bought it, "you paid £110 for that watch but you only gave it a quick glance".

Yes, she said, but it was a  **** watch !!! (* = designer name)

Never heard of them, I replied. She gave me a blank look as if she was talking to somebody who had been on a desert island for the last twenty years.

It was quite clear to me that she only bought the watch for the name.


For a long time, I've noticed that the UK follows the USA, probably the greatest consumer society of all time.

Generally speaking, trends and social patterns that occur in the USA happen over here some time after.

It used to take a number of years, now with the "media" like the internet, it happens much quicker.

The dollar is the religion in the USA and we are becoming the same here.

There are many names for what is going on and people far more educated than I can recite the long words.

However, to my simple soul, religious beliefs, family values and ethics are all up the creek.

My daughter who is a teacher, told me that she took her class of small children to St.Pauls Cathedral. They had a great day, but just as they got to the top of the 365 steps, there was a fire alarm and they had to evacuate. 

My daughter was shocked to see the adult tourists who were also up there, pushing past her 6 year olds, in order to get out first. 

Mind you, at least the UK has toilets with the male and female doors, the same size, unlike this one in Turkey !!!

I don't think equality has reached Turkey yet..





1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.