Monday 8 November 2010

Melofluidic Wotsits

Well, with the decision taken as to what second instrument to play, I've taken the plunge.




It's a Melodeon - it seemed a complimentary instrument to the concertina (well its got buttons and bellows). Actually, my choice was steered by the lovely rich, melodious sound that it makes.


Being physically larger than my little 'tinas, its use on the boat might be a bit limited.


The Melodeon is a very popular instrument in Morris groups, but I've always found "Morris" to be a little sinister and scary. This may be as a result of being in Whitby as the same time as their annual folk festival a few years ago - the number of people patrolling the streets, in strange clothing and with blacked-up faces was quite intimidating and I've been sleeping with the light on ever since.


I tend to play Irish Traditional Music on mine and particularly like the names of Gaelic tunes that I can't pronounce.


At the moment, I'm practicing old wartime tunes like "its a long way to Tipperary" in honour of Rememberance Sunday on the 14th.


Wish me luck, as you wave me goodbye, won't you !!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.